Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

I just finished Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs and man, did it tick me off. The author reminded me of a certain type of dude: know-it-all, horn rimmed glasses wearing, 30ish, sarcastic, obscure-band loving, elitist a-hole. The kind of guy I would inevitably pick up in a gross dive bar in Allston, MA 5 years ago who would dazzle my young naive self with his faux philosophical view of life and vast knowledge of the contents of the bar's jukebox. Ew!

Thankfully, my taste in men has evolved. I am no longer interested in smug smartie pants men and I find their limited and dismissive points of view extremely irritating.  Thus, Klosterman's collection of essays examining pop culture left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Granted, some of his anecdotes seemed dated as they dealt with "Gen-X" type content (the social ramifications of The Real World, the political value of the Dixie Chicks), but moreover, his assertions came off as sexist, racist  and obnoxious. I can't wait to rip into him at our monthly book club session next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment